SPRING 2021 TUBA-EUPH ENSEMBLE PLACEMENTS
Rehearsals: Wednesdays Room 232
Duration: 30 minutes maximum
6pm Ensembe: Mentor - Grant Jameson
Max Dobson (Sophomore)
Hayden Drew (Junior)
Scott McLain (Freshman)
Douglas Swayne (Junior)
Corrian Dearman (Sophomore)
Arturo Ortega (Freshman)
7pm Ensembe: Mentor - Blake Birmingham
Tyler Wise (Senior)
Tanner Ellis (Junior)
Liam Gompf (Sophomore)
Juan Rangel (Freshman)
Zachary Gilbertson (Senior)
Christopher Pedro Barreda (Freshman)
8pm Ensembe: Mentor - Tommy Vo
Ada Brooks (Master’s)
Kevin Rodriguez (Sophomore)
Patrick Abel (Freshman)
Christian Carter (Senior)
Matthew Velilla (Freshman)
9pm Ensembe: Mentor - Chris Martin
Brandon Hawkins (Master's)
Brad Halloran (Master’s)
Jeffrey Dale Ray (Senior)
Christian Garcia (Junior)
Raegan Adaire Dishman (Freshman)
Ensemble sizes have been capped at 6 brass players, plus a mentor. Please exercise social distancing at all times and ensure you are equipped with a mask, bell cover and puppy pad.
Mentors will ensure the room is set-up with chairs and stands positioned correctly, 12 feet apart. Please ensure that you wipe down your performing area once you have finished your session.
IMPORTANT: If you are isolating or feel sick in any way, please do not attend. If you have COVID symtoms you should:
1. Call the UNT COVID Hotline: 844-366-5892
2. Inform Professor Childs (firstname.lastname@example.org) and your mentor that you will not be in class. For further guidelines, visit: https://healthalerts.unt.edu/symptoms-monitoring#students
SPRING 2021 COVID-19 SAFETY MEASURES AND UPDATES
A few important items to note for the spring:
- UNT's healthalerts.unt.edu website will continue to be updated as guidelines and information are updated.
- It's important to continue wearing a mask, keep your social distance, avoid crowds and wash your hands often.
- Faculty, staff and students are strongly encouraged to get a COVID-19 test before or as soon as possible after returning to campus. COVID-19 testing administered by WellHealth is available at the Union Circle Garage with no individual out-of-pocket cost. To register, visit gogettested.comand follow the “Book Now" link on the map's Denton location ("Denton – UNT Union Circle Garage – Texas Emergency Management”). Include the group code "UNT" to allow positive test results to be sent directly to UNT's COVID response team. Testing is offered from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sundays, except for holidays.
New Zealand International Brass Festival
Low Brass Competition (Online)
Application deadline: 5th January, 2021
Video submission deadline: 5th January, 2021
Competition result will be announced on the 28th of January, 2021
Euphonium Solo Repertoire:
Young Artist (Born after/on Jan.1.2001)
- Euphonium Fantasy - Fraser
- One solo piece of candidate's own choice, no less than 5 minutes
Professional (Born before Jan.1.2001)
- The Green Hill - Appermont
- One solo piece of candidate's own choice, no less than 8 minutes
Follow this link for more information and guidelines.
United States Army Band Tuba - Euphonium Workshop
2021 Euphonium Mock Band Audition
Submission deadline: December 1st, 2020
Recording format: individual WAV or MP3 file
Preliminary Recorded Excerpts:
- Berlioz, Roman Carnival Overture
- Souza, Stars and Stripes Forever
Play beginning to Trio. Take 2nd endings. No repeats.
- Schoenberg, Theme and Variations
- Shostakovich, Festive Overture
Follow this link for the Excerpt Packet and more information.
Technical (Scales) Assessment
All euphonium students are required to take a technical examination this semester. The assessment will take place during the week of September 28th during your scheduled lesson and will be examined by your instructor.
Material for the assessment will be decided by your instructor and will include two contrasting studies, sight-reading, scales, arpeggios, and in some case, dominant 7ths and diminished 7ths.
In addition, you're required to learn the following melody from memory: Abide with Me - you can download the sheet music below. Your instructor may also require you to play this in a variety of different keys.
*Assessment content is at the discretion of your instructor and may vary.
Euphonium Vacancy - United States Navy Fleet Bands
Virtual Euphonium Audition
Prescreen packages due: Oct. 2, 2020
Audition: Virtually By Appointment
Winners will be assigned a position at one of nine U.S. Navy Fleet Bands.
Cosma, Euphonium , Mvt. I - Allegro Assai
Sousa, Hail to the Spirit of Liberty
Alford, The Purple Carnival
Holst, First Suite in Eb for Military Band, MVT. I - Chaconne Makris,
Makris, Aegean Festival Overture
Berlioz, The Roman Carnival Overture
Williams, The Cowboys
Granger, Colonial Song
Follow this link for the Audition Packet and more information.
Fall 2020 Departmental Performance Schedule
Departmentals provide an opportunity for you to perform to your peers, enhance critical listening skills and musically develop in a group environment. These instructor led classes will take place every Tuesday 12:00 – 13:00 in the virtual Euphonium Studio.
All students are required to video-record two solo performances to be broadcast to the class during the semester. Please check the schedule [PDF download below] to find out when you will be featured.
Please also note your Repertoire submission date - the deadline for your repertoire choice (including full title, composition year, composer / arranger name and dates) to be emailed to Professor Childs and Tommy Vo.
Please also note your Video submission date - the deadline for your video performance link to be emailed to Professor Childs. This link should navigate to an unlisted YouTube or Vimeo video published on your own channel for ease of download.
Video performances can be presented as solo only or with accompaniment, but generally, chosen repertoire should not exceed 7 minutes.